Civil Service Exams
Civil service with the City of New York is all about serving your community and your city in your chosen profession. We provide a wealth of career opportunities, a clear path for growth, and great benefits. Over 80% of civil service positions with the City are called “competitive class.” These jobs require you take an exam to qualify. However, if you have a disability and are a possible candidate for a competitive class job, you may not be required to take an exam.
You can find out more about exceptions for people with disabilities on our 55-a Program page.
Types of Jobs We Offer
As one of the largest local government employers anywhere, we have a wide range of positions available. You may be a good candidate for us if you work in the areas below, which typically require an exam.
We Need People for
- Administration & Human Resources
- Communications & Intergovernmental Affairs
- Constituent Services & Community Programs
- Engineering, Architecture & Planning
- Finance, Accounting & Procurement
- Technology, Data & Innovation
- Legal Affairs
- Building Operations & Maintenance
- Policy, Research & Analysis
- Public Safety, Inspections & Enforcement
- Social Services
Veterans' Fee Waiver Information
How do I qualify for the Veterans Exam Fee Waiver?
At the time of exam filing you must:
- be a United States citizen or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence;
- have received an honorable discharge or have been released under honorable conditions from the Armed Forces of the United States (i.e., the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard, including all components thereof, and the National Guard when in the service of the United States pursuant to call as provided by Law); and
- have served on full-time active duty, other than active duty for training.
The fee waiver:
- can be used to waive the application fee for an examination for appointment to or a promotion to a position with the City of New York.
- cannot be used retroactively for any exam for which you have already applied.
What forms of documentation are acceptable to qualify for the Veterans Exam Fee Waiver?
You must mail the following to One Centre Street, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10007, Attn: Application Processing Unit, or deliver in person to the Computer-based Testing and Application Centers (CTACs):
- a clear copy of your separation papers (Form DD214, long form); or
- a Statement of Service letter on official Department of Veterans Affairs letterhead along with your paper application package or the OASys generated application receipt.
NOTE: To deliver your documentation in person to a CTAC, you must schedule an appointment for in-person assistance by applying for Exam #1889. Exam #1889 is not a Civil Service Exam and no fee will be charged to schedule an appointment. Candidates without appointments will not be admitted.
Do I qualify for the Veterans Exam Fee Waiver if I am currently on active duty in a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces?
No. You must have received an honorable discharge OR release under honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed Forces in order to qualify for the Veterans Exam Fee Waiver.
Veterans' Credit Information
Do I qualify for Veteran’s Preference Credits if I have qualified for a Veterans Exam Fee Waiver?
No. These are two separate programs available to Veterans, which have different purposes and criteria. Therefore, they must be requested separately.
Can I still use the Veterans Exam Fee Waiver if I have previously received Veteran’s Preference Credits?
Yes. Veteran's Preference Credits and the Veterans Exam Fee Waiver are two separate programs available to Veterans, which have different purposes and criteria. Therefore, they must be requested separately.